I have been trying to get creative with my Salsa Garden this year. Since I decided to use all Burpee plants my gardens have produced double what I am used to and it has pushed me to try new and exciting things in the kitchen. Monday night I made Oven Roasted Salsa, Salsa Fried Chicken and Jalapeño Corn Muffins. After bringing in a fresh batch of Bell Peppers, Jalapeños and Tomatoes from my Salsa Garden I spent some time on Pinterest looking for inspiration. I was really excited when I saw several posts about oven roasting tomatoes and decided to do my own version and roast everything from my salsa garden. The result was fantastic and so easy its silly. I ended up cooking my chicken for dinner that night in a little bit of the salsa. I also added a nice spoonful on top of the chicken when I was serving it as well.
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 T. Chopped Oregano
- 3 Jalapeños
- 5 Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/3 C. Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- 1 t. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Core and slice peppers- a large chop is fine on these
- Slice tomatoes- Mine were large so I cut them into eighths.
- Chop onion- again large chop works fine
- Mince garlic.
- Toss everything (including oregano) in olive oil.
- Spread your veggies out as flat as you can on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Place on the center rack of your oven and roast for about 20 minutes.
- Broil for an additional 5 minutes until a slight char appears on the veggies.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Place all ingredients including any juices on the pan in a food processor.
- Add in red pepper flakes and pulse until smooth.