This is a project I have been wanting to try for a long time. Recently two of my college roommates got engaged and this became the perfect opportunity to give this a try. I found a very easy tutorial on Pinterest (the link is at the bottom of this post). I wish I would have read the entire posting before trying to do this myself. I only looked at the pictures and was disappointed when the black shirts turned out with orange lettering not the white I had been envisioning. Other than that little set back the shirts were very easy to make! I can’t wait to try making these again now that I know lighter color shirts work better.
- A shirt(s) of your choice-lighter colors work best
- One 8×10 piece cardboard, card-stock/thick paper or wax paper-per shirt. ( I used a Macy’s add out of the Sunday Paper)
- 1 Clorox Bleach Pen
- Lay shirt out on a flat surface with paper inside the shirt in the area you will be working on.
- Use ruler and pencil to draw a faint line to make sure you’re writing straight the whole time.
- Write on shirt with Bleach Pen. ( I traced over mine twice to make sure I didn’t have any faint spots)
- Let sit for 10-15 min
- Wash bleach off with regular hand soap and water to stop bleaching process.
- Toss in the washing machine and wash and dry like you normally would. (avoid washing with other things just in case you missed some bleach).
Like I said before I didn’t read the directions on Pinterest before attempting the project and was disappointed when my lettering came out orange instead of the nice bleached white I had been expecting.