Well here we are, months later & continuing to deal with a global pandemic. And I am still in the kitchen baking away my feelings, much to my husband’s delight! With it officially being baking season, I like to shift my treats to match the season and chilly weather desserts are all about apples and caramel for me. We’ve had a lot of apple treats lately so I decided to focus on the caramel aspect with this delicious recipe I found on the Averie Cooks blog, and it did not disappoint!
These bars are full of caramel-y goodness and the richness of butter cookies to make the perfect balance. And they were so easy! Another bonus is that these are egg-free for anyone with any egg sensitivities.
Salted Caramel Buttery Crumb Bars
- 1 Cup Stick Butter
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Salted Caramel Sauce I used Smucker’s Salted Caramel Sauce, but you can also make your own if you are feeling ambitious
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment and spray with cooking spray. My favorite is Bak-Klene ZT Nonstick Baking Spray from Williams Sonoma
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (approximately 3 minutes)
- Mix in the flour until fully combined.
- Press 1/3 of the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. While the crust is baking refrigerate the remaining dough.
- Once the 20 minutes is up, pour the caramel over top of the crust. I used a little more than the ½ cup called for just for good measure
- Crumble the remaining dough over top of the caramel. It may seem like a lot, but trust the process!
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 25 – 30 minutes, or until the top is barely golden brown and the caramel is bubbling
- Remove bars from the oven and drizzle a little caramel sauce over the bars
- Chill your bars for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Author for the Hunkiedorië team and sharing my experiences with you all! Some of my favorite things include traveling, adventures with my two dogs, craft beer, cupcakes, and time with family and friends. I love getting out and trying new things whether that is a new restaurant, workout, recipe or a new business.