The other night while going through my mail I decided to read through one of my Laithwaites Catalogs. I can’t believe I never noticed that they have been sending me recipes to pair with my stellar wine subscription. If you have never heard of Laithwaites Wine I highly recommend researching it! Cabernets are always my favorite and in my most recent mailer was a recipe for Empanadas said to pair perfectly with either a Cab or Malbec. I decided to give it a try while adding my own special flair. They turned out amazing and were perfect served with my Easy Queso and Lazy Girl Guacamole. I would like to find a different way to do the crust, mine was a little thick and dry but it was very very easy.
- 1 Box Refrigerated Pie Crust (you will need two crusts total)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 lb. Ground Venison (ground beef will work too)
- 1/3 lb. Ground Chorizo
- 1 Yellow Onion (minced)
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced small)
- 1 -4oz Can Jalapenos
- 1/4 t. Paprika
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- I threw all my veggies (peppers, onion and garlic) together in my Chopper and pulsed a few times to perfection but you could easily dice and mince by hand.
- Heat veggies in a pan for about 5 min.
- While veggies are cooking roll out your pie dough and cut out using a large round cookie cutter or even a glass.
- Roll out your cut outs to make them a little larger and thinner, then set aside.
- Add your meats to the skillet and cook through.
- Drain off fat.
- In the center of each pie dough cut out place a spoon full of your mixture.
- Fold the dough in half so the edges meet and press together with a fork to seal your ends.
- Place your sealed empanadas on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Brush your tops with the egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.