My project this weekend was repainting a desk I bought at an antique store in July and turning it into a vanity for my room. The desk cost me 56$ and all my painting supplies were about 15$. Repurposing old desks into vanities has become one of my favorite projects, stay tuned to see how my friend Lainie and I made one for her new townhome.
- Take off all the handles and completely sand the desk inside of the drawers and all.
- Once you have finished sanding remember to wipe everything down with a wax cloth so you have a clean & smooth surface to start painting.
- Paint outside of desk and drawer faces. Its important to do this is thin layers. (I did about 4 coats with semi gloss paint, this will make it even and give it a nice surface that is easy to clean)
- Let sit to dry overnight.
- Paint inside of the drawers in the same fashion (only two coats needed).
- Replace handles
- Admire your work 🙂
I hung a oversized mirror we had sitting around the house above the desk, added a lamp and drawer organizers and now I have the perfect new vanity for my room.
Foodie & Craft Pro
Necklace Organizer | hunkiedorie
[…] help keep my jewelry organized I decided to try and make a necklace holder to attach to My New Vanity. It was so simple and cost me less than 15$. I headed over to Home Depot where I bought a cheap […]
Great tutorial and you’re right, a lot of times it’s so simple and so much cheaper to refurbish things like a desk. Thanks again!